Royal Ulster Agricultural Society

Royal Agricultural Agricultural SocietyThe Royal Ulster Agricultural Society (RUAS) was first known as the North East Agricultural Association of Ireland which was formed in 1854 following the Great Famine and a desire to improve agriculture. The Society was to embrace the counties of Down, Antrim, Armagh and Monaghan by holding Agricultural Shows and giving agricultural instruction.

The first annual Show at Balmoral was held on the 17th - 19th June 1896. 

In December 1903, the name was changed to the Ulster Agricultural Society, then in January 1904, His Majesty King Edward VII commanded that the Society be known as the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society. The Society has charitable status and its income is applied towards the promotion of its objectives.

The King’s Hall was opened in 29th May 1934 by His Royal Highness and the Duke of Gloucester and quickly became a landmark of international renown. In April 1991 the Department of the Environment recognised its presence and features by placing it on the list of buildings of special architectural and historic interest.

OBJECTIVES

To promote agriculture in Northern Ireland by holding Agricultural Shows and by giving agricultural instruction by exhibitions, lectures and other such means as may from time to time be found expedient. The promotion of Industries, Art, Science and Literature, though they have always been treated as minor in relation to the main objective of promoting agriculture.



CONTACT DETAILS

Royal Ulster Agricultural Society
The King’s Hall Complex
Balmoral
Belfast
BT9 6GW

Tel: 028 9066 5225
Fax: 028 9066 1264
Email: info@kingshall.co.uk



MEMBERSHIP

Members are the backbone of the Society. Not only do membership subscriptions provide essential income for the Society but the contribution provided by its members is vital to the present and future of the everything the Society achieves.

If you are interested in becoming a member and showing your support for the Society please visit the membership section of this website for further information on all the benefits that come with membership and how to apply, alternatively please contact John Dunne on 028 9066 5225 or e-mail johndunne@kingshall.co.uk

 

NEWLY ELECTED MEMBERS OF COUNCIL

At the annual meeting of the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society held at the King’s Hall Complex, Belfast, on Friday, 7th March 2014, the following 24 members were declared elected as members of the Council for a period of three years:

Christine Adams, Cynthia Aiken, Alan Armstrong, Vaughan Byrne, Robin Cherry, Ian Duff, Ashley Fleming, Desmond Gibson, Diane Gibson, Pauline Gibson, George Hamilton, Robert Harkness, Jayne Harkness-Bones, John Hunter, Gareth Kelly, Eugene Larkin, Jay Lindsay, Sam McEwen, Anna McIlveen, Trevor Shields, Stephen Smith, Alex Thompson, Conn Williamson and Alexandra Woods.



Download the RUAS Annual Report


To download archived RUAS Annual Reports, click here.



Download the Balmoral News


To download archived editions of the RUAS Balmoral News, click here.